- 2 pounds beets (red and golden)
Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 3 lemons supremed, juice reserved
- 1-1⁄2 lemons zested
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Spiced Pecans Ingredients
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- 2 cups blueberry vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 sticks Ceylon cinnamon
- 6 each cloves
- 4 each allspice berries
- 1 whole star anise
- 8 ounces arugula
- Lemon vinaigrette
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 pounds roasted beets
- 4 ounces spiced pecans
- 8.5 ounces pickled blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash 2 lbs of beets, and trim off beet tops, scrub if needed. Season with salt and olive oil and loosely wrap in foil, wrapping large beets individually, and small ones (3-5 beets) in one pack together.
- Roast beets for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check every 25 minutes until beets are fork tender. Cut into 1 inches pieces/wedges.
- Peel beets. Set aside.
Lemon Vinaigrette Instructions
- In a blender, blend together lemon juice, lemon zest, honey and sugar.
- Slowly blend in olive oil.
- Season with salt to taste.
Spiced Pecans Instructions
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Toss all ingredients except for egg whites in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Next, add the egg whites and stir by hand to coat.
- Pour mixture onto a full sheet tray lined with a piece of parchment paper and back for 45 minutes or until dry, crumbly, and the sugar is just starting to brown.
- In a small saucepot, dry toast cinnamon, cloves, all spice and star anise until fragrant.
- Add vinegar and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 7 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and reserve spices. Bring liquid up to a boil; add blueberries.
- Remove from heat off and steep berries for 3 minutes. Strain berries out of pickling liquid. Set aside.
- Gently toss arugula in lemon vinaigrette.
- Spread ricotta on bottom of plate.
- Season beets with extra virgin olive oil, salt, and fresh black pepper. Place beets on top of ricotta.
- Pile dressed greens on top.
- Sprinkle with spiced pecans, pickled blueberries and lemon zest (if desired).
About This Recipe
Asheville Innovator Chef Katie Button, Curate & Nightbell Restaurants
This roasted beet salad with pickled blueberries, buttermilk ricotta and spiced pecans might be a mouthful to say, but one bite of this salad and the flavor will leave you speechless. Try the roasted beet salad as an appetizer at your next get together to show your guests your culinary genius.