- 1 box butter cake mix (you can also use yellow or white cake)
- Ingredients for cake mix (eggs, butter or oil, water)
Blueberry Filling Ingredients
- 2 cups frozen blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Juice from half of a lemon
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks, at room temperature)
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare cake mix according to box.
- Spray three cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and divide batter into three cake tins.
- Bake at 350˚F for 20-25 minutes, or until cake is baked through. Allow cakes to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a serrated knife to level each cake.
Blueberry Filling Instructions
- Add all ingredients into a medium saucepan and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring as it cooks and mashing the blueberries slightly until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely
Buttercream Frosting Instructions
- Add butter, powdered sugar, and salt to mixer and mix until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Slowly add in heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla and keep mixing until fluffy.
- Place frosting in pastry bag or plastic bag and snip the corner, about 1/2” opening.
- Start by adding a little bit of frosting to the center of cake stand or cake plate. Place one cake in the center. Top with 1/3 of buttercream and 1/3 of blueberry filling. Repeat this step two more times.
Recipe TipCake can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, but allow to come to room temperature before serving.
About This Recipe
Nothing beats a freshly baked cake, especially one that combines blueberries and lemon. Can you name a better duo? Whether you’re in need of a sweet treat for an upcoming party, or just want bake at home this rich, creamy, tangy cake will do just the trick. Did we mention it’s also stunning?
Made in partnership with Brandi Milloy