Almond Cake Ingredients
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons sugar used later
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond flour
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
Blueberry Compote Ingredients
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 wide strips of lemon zest, about 3” long, using a vegetable peeler
- Pinch of salt
Almond Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine egg yolks and ½ cup sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat at high speed until thick and creamy. Mixture will lighten in color to a light yellow.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, citrus zest and salt.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into the almond flour, using a spatula, until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the egg whites with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat on high speed for about 2 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites carefully with a spatula, a little at a time, into the almond flour mixture. Scrape gently from the bottom of the bowl, mixing until cake batter has an even consistency.
- Butter a 9” cake pan or springform pan. Line the bottom with a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Pour cake batter into pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the top of the cake is firm to the touch.
- Cool cake and serve with blueberry compote.
Blueberry Compote Instructions
- Combine half of the blueberries with water, sugar and lemon zest in a heavy-bottomed 1 quart pot, and place over medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add remaining blueberries and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and salt.
- When cool, remove lemon zest.
Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar or add ice cream, if desired.
About This Recipe
This light and fluffy cake is both simple and mouthwatering. The delicate almond base is punched up with a rich, juicy blueberry compote that’s perfect for any season.
Recipe created by Chef Stephen Rogers, Sachet Restaurant.