Almond Cake Ingredients
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons sugar used later
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond flour
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
Blueberry Compote Ingredients
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 wide strips of lemon zest, about 3” long, using a vegetable peeler
- Pinch of salt
Almond Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine egg yolks and ½ cup sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat at high speed until thick and creamy. Mixture will lighten in color to a light yellow.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, citrus zest and salt.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into the almond flour, using a spatula, until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the egg whites with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat on high speed for about 2 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites carefully with a spatula, a little at a time, into the almond flour mixture. Scrape gently from the bottom of the bowl, mixing until cake batter has an even consistency.
- Butter a 9” cake pan or springform pan. Line the bottom with a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Pour cake batter into pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the top of the cake is firm to the touch.
- Cool cake and serve with blueberry compote.
Blueberry Compote Instructions
- Combine half of the blueberries with water, sugar and lemon zest in a heavy-bottomed 1 quart pot, and place over medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add remaining blueberries and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and salt.
- When cool, remove lemon zest.
About This Recipe
This light and fluffy cake is both simple and mouthwatering. The delicate almond base is punched up with a rich, juicy blueberry compote that’s perfect for any season.
Recipe created by Chef Stephen Rogers, Sachet Restaurant.