- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄4 pounds ground bison
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup steeped Earl Grey tea
- 1⁄3 cup dried blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 piece star anise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
To make the meatballs
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook, stirring frequently about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, 1 minute; let cool.
- In a large bowl combine breadcrumbs , milk, egg, cilantro, salt, pepper and allspice. Add bison and onion mixture. Mix until blended. Roll into 1-¼ inch balls.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, drizzle 2 tablespoons oil. Brown meatballs in batches, transferring to a large baking pan. Cover with foil to keep warm.
To serve, drizzle meatballs with sauce.
To make the sauce
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine tea, dried blueberries, sugar, anise and salt; bring to a simmer and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in frozen blueberries; increase heat to medium-high, bringing to a boil. Let boil for 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Remove from heat and set aside.
About This Recipe
Time to step up your appetizer! More than just a meatball, these bison meatballs with blueberry sauce are a unique combination of sweet and savory. Try bringing bison meatballs drizzled with blueberry sauce to your next potluck and blow your friends away, or whip them up for an unforgettable afternoon snack. This recipe was developed by Chef Daniel Mattern.