Chicken Wing Ingredients
- 4 pounds chicken drumettes and wings
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 teapoons salt
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
Blueberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 shallots sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon all spice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 Chipotle peppers from can
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 500°F with the oven rack set on the upper middle level. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Coat each wing with flour mixture and place them on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. Spray wings with cooking spray; bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a pan over medium high heat. Add vegetable oil. When the pan is hot, fry the shallots until lightly browned; add garlic and ginger, frying until they turn light brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce (except the chipotle pepper, salt and black pepper); bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer covered for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Once mixture has cooled, pour into a blender along with the chipotle pepper. Blend until smooth.
- If sauce is too thick, add a touch of water; season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove wings from oven and toss with sauce. Serve immediately.
About This Recipe
Recipe by Ai Ping Sia, “Curious Nut” Blog
A little sweet, a little spicy, blueberry chipotle barbecue chicken wings are full of flavor. Try them as a game day tailgating recipe or enjoy it as an appetizer to share. However you enjoy them, blueberry chipotle barbecue chicken wings are the perfect addition to your get-togethers this season.