- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar
- For the pastry, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter using pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup water; stir into flour mixture until dough comes together, adding up to 1 tbsp water if needed.
- Form dough into 2 balls and flatten each into large rectangle. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Make the filling by tossing together blueberries, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt; set aside.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 tbsp water; set aside. On lightly floured surface, roll out 1 portion of dough between 2 large sheets of parchment paper, lightly dusted with flour, into 12- x 17-inch rectangle. Peel off top parchment paper. Place onto 10 x 15-inch baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press pastry onto bottom and up side of pan. Refrigerate until needed.
- Roll out remaining portion of dough between parchment paper, lightly dusted with flour, into 12 x 17-inch rectangle. Remove top piece of parchment paper. To make lattice top, cut 1/2-inch wide strips diagonally using pastry cutter or sharp knife (refrigerate for about 10 minutes if dough is too soft).
- Spoon blueberry filling over pastry on baking sheet. Working quickly, place half of the pastry strips across pan diagonally. Weave remaining strips with first set of strips to form lattice pattern, trimming edges to fit pan. Pinch edges of crust together to seal, fluting or crimping edges, and tucking under pastry, if needed. Brush with egg wash. Combine coarse sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let cool completely on rack. Cut into squares.
About This Recipe
This classic dessert just got a whole lot easier. Blueberry Lattice Slab Pie offers all the tastes you crave – bursting with buttery, juicy, sweet-tart flavor – without the effort that goes into the traditional recipe. You can make your own crust, or save time by buying one pre-made. No matter how you slice it, you get a bluetiful bunch of pie for your bunch.