- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Roll out one sheet pie crust to flatten. Fit into a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup of the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until mixture is thickened and clear. Stir in butter; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 3 cups blueberries and lemon peel.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Turn cooled filling into pie shell. Lay the remaining pie crust on a sheet of wax paper. Roll out to flatten. With a knife or pastry wheel cut pastry into 3/8-inch wide strips. Arrange in a criss-cross pattern on top of blueberries, pressing ends into the edges of the bottom crust and crimping to seal.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake in the bottom third of oven until crust is golden and filling bubbles gently, about 30 minutes. Cool on rack.
Cornmeal Crumb Top Variation: Do not use top crust. In a medium bowl combine ½ cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, ¼ cup cornmeal, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon and 3 tablespoons softened butter until blended. Crumble over filling. Bake as above.
Decorated Lattice Variation: Cut top crust into ¾-inch wide strips. Set the two end strips and two short strips aside. Arrange remaining strips in a criss -cross pattern on top of blueberries. With the large end of a piping tip or a small knife cut out 15 small circles and 12 small leaves . Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Place in clusters decoratively on the pastry lattice securing with a little milk. Bake as above.
About This Recipe
This Blueberry Pie recipe delivers an exquisitely simple filling – just five ingredients – and unforgettable taste. At the center of it all are the fresh, juicy blueberries that make every slice a standout. After you make the original recipe, try the variations for a little extra flair. A cornmeal crumb top adds texture and richness, while a decorated lattice brings your pie to life like the culinary artwork it is.