- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup coarse salt
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a saucepan simmer berries and water over medium heat until berries pop and release their juice, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Press blueberries with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. In a fine wire sieve, strain blueberry mixture, pressing out as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Line the sieve with cheesecloth and strain out finer particles.
- Return juice to saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, watching closely so it doesn’t burn, until reduced to a syrup thick enough to coat a spoon (2 to 3 tablespoons.)
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt until evenly coated. Spread salt out onto baking sheets. Let air dry, stirring occasionally, until dry, 4-24 hours, depending on humidity.
- Alternatively, bake in a 150° convection oven, stirring frequently, until dry, about 1 hour.