- 2 cups or 160 grams of frozen blueberries, rinsed and thawed
- ⅓ cup plant-based milk of choice
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup (packed) or 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Either in the microwave or on the stovetop, thaw the frozen blueberries until they are soft and jammy. In the microwave, this should take about 30 seconds on high heat, and on the stovetop, it should take about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Let the blueberries cool for about 2-3 minutes. While they are cooling, add the milk, oil, maple syrup, and sugar to a small blender. Add in the blueberries when they have reached room temperature, and blend until a smooth purple batter forms.
- Pour this batter into the flour mixture and fold together until no dry flour lumps remain. You should have a nice, thick purple batter.
- Make the streusel by whisking together the brown sugar and flour in a separate bowl, then crumbling in the butter with your fingers. Work with your hands to mash the butter into the flour mixture in large chunks, creating a gravel-like streusel topping.
- In a greased muffin tin, pour the batter until it is ¾ of the way up each muffin cup. Top with a generous amount of streusel.
- Bake in the oven at 425°F for 5 minutes, then without opening the oven door, decrease the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 20-25 minutes. The muffins will be ready when you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
For best results, fold unthawed blueberries lightly dusted with flour into batter.
About This Recipe
Is there anything more classic than a blueberry muffin? Whether you’re looking for your next go-to breakfast meal prep recipe or a midday snack, these Blueberry Streusel Muffins are sure to do the trick. Made with frozen blueberries to give them a rich purple color, and covered with a sweet streusel topping…it doesn’t get much better than that.
Made in partnership with Justine Snacks.