- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar or turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 flatbreads can substitute pita if desired
- 1⁄2 cup prepared blueberry glaze, plus more for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups fresh greens such as arugula or spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- Optional garnish: sliced jalapeños or fresh basil
- Make a slurry with the cornstarch and water, then set aside.
- Combine the blueberries, brown sugar, soy sauce, jalapeño, and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. As the berries melt, gently smash to create a chunky texture.
- Once heated and slightly simmering, add the cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To caramelize the onions, slice into thin strips. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the onions.
- Sauté the onions until translucent (about 5-10 minutes) then reduce heat to low and cook until you reach your desired level of browning and caramelization, about 40 minutes longer. Season with kosher salt.
- Optional: Add a splash of balsamic vinegar towards the end of cooking to intensify the caramelization effect.
- To build the flatbreads, preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the blueberry glaze evenly on each flatbread, then layer on the greens, chicken, caramelized onions, and blueberries. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges of the flatbread begin to brown and cheese is fully melted. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Garnish with sliced jalapeño, additional blueberries, or fresh basil (if using).
About This Recipe
Flatbreads are a versatile and easy dish for baking or grilling, offering a blank canvas to pile on your favorite toppings. This recipe is a savory way to enjoy the health benefits of blueberries, fresh or frozen.
Made in partnership with Cara Harbstreet, MS, RD, LD.