- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 3⁄4 cup lard (or use vegetable shortening if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 7 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 ounces brick cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, separated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- For crust, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and cardamom. Cut in lard until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl whisk together water, vinegar and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until moistened. Shape into 2 disks, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir together blueberries, tapioca, sugar, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together cream cheese, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and sugar.
- Thinly roll out one dough disk to fit into a 15x10x1- inch sheet pan. Trim edges. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over dough. Top with blueberry mixture.
- Roll out the second dough disk and cut it into strips. Cover pie with dough strips and finish edges as you like.
- Whisk together egg and water. Brush on strips and edges. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie on second to the bottom rack at 400°F for 30 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes longer or until done.
If your pan has a slightly different dimension this recipe will still work.
About This Recipe
Just like the name promises, this Dreamy Creamy Blueberry Slab Pie really is what dreams are made of. Taking second place in the America’s Best Blueberry Pie Contest, the irresistible combo of fresh blueberries and cream cheese gives this pie a rich texture and tangy edge that will keep people coming back for another slice.
Created by Renata Stanko for America’s Best Blueberry Pie Contest