- 6-1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries, coarsely chopped (about 5 pints whole blueberries)*
- 1 package granulated fruit pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 4-1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine blueberries and ½ cup water.
- In a small bowl, stir together pectin and ¼ cup of the sugar.
- Stir pectin mixture into blueberries. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring mixture to a rolling boil.
- Add the remaining 4-¼ cups of sugar and return to a rolling boil for exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam. Set aside until cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to 1-cup freezer containers, filling to about ½ inch from the top. Continue to cool at room temperature until jam has set.
- Cover and freeze. Thaw to serve.
Store any leftover jam in the refrigerator for up to one month
About This Recipe
What’s our favorite way to make summer last all year long? Homemade Blueberry Jam! Spread this lip-smacking jam on toast or over warm baked goods in the chilly months, and you’ll be reminded of long hot summer days full of sunshine and fresh fruit. Homemade Blueberry Jam is also the perfect gift for birthdays, holidays or any special occasion.