- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Stir in the blueberries and bacon.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Pat the dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges. Place the wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- Whisk the milk and egg together. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg and milk mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
About This Recipe
Don’t choose between savory and sweet – these Blueberry Bacon Scones perfectly balance both! The smokiness of the bacon complements the sweetness of the fresh, juicy blueberries and warmth of the cinnamon. It’s a one-bowl recipe that’s easy to make and easy to love – even the blueberries go in whole. And, kids can help with stirring, kneading and spreading out the dough. Treat your whole household to a boost of blue, fresh out of the oven!
The Great Blueberry Showdown Runner-Up
Developed by Matt H.