- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, for garnish
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Orange curls or dehydrated orange slices, for garnish
Blueberry Jam Filling Ingredients
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 packages (each 8 ounces) brick-style cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, cloves and salt.
- In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, stir together blueberries, water, and apple cider vinegar; stirring occasionally, bring to a boil. Using a fork, crush blueberries. Remove from heat. Stir in molasses.
- In another large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat together brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. One at a time, beat in eggs, incorporating well after each addition. Beat in orange zest and vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture in 3 parts with molasses mixture in 2 parts, starting and ending with flour mixture. Scrape the bowl as needed between additions. Scrape into prepared pans; smooth tops.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Blueberry Jam Filling Instructions
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, stir together blueberries, sugar and lemon juice; stirring frequently, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and jam-like in texture. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat cream cheese until light, fluffy and smooth. Beat in butter, vanilla, and salt until blended. On low speed, 1/2 cup at a time, beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread top with generous 1/2 cup frosting. Spread half the jam over the frosting layer. Repeat with another cake layer, another generous ½ cup frosting and the remaining jam. Top with remaining cake layer and spread the remaining frosting over top and sides of all layers. Refrigerate for at least 2 to 3 hours before serving.
- Garnish cake with fresh blueberries, rosemary, cinnamon sticks, and orange curls or slices.
About This Recipe
Blueberry Gingerbread Layer Cake is your new go-to for celebrating! Fragrant and flavorful, this spice cake brings the taste of fall, combining blueberries with cinnamon, ginger and cloves. You’ll love the presentation, too, with a smooth, rich cream cheese frosting, three beautiful layers and space on top for fresh blueberries and other garnishes. This delicious dessert adds a boost of blue to any occasion!