- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 12 slider buns, split and toasted
- 6 slices cheddar cheese, quartered
- In a blender, blend blueberries and broth until smooth.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat oil. Cook turkey and salt, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Stir in carrot, celery, onion, garlic and chili powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are starting to soften. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in blueberry mixture, maple syrup and mustard; stirring, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce is thick, veggies are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Sandwich sloppy joe mixture in slider buns with 2 cheese slices.
- Optional: serve with veggie sticks on the side
About This Recipe
Sloppy Joe Blueberry Sliders add a boost of blue to this yummy, kid-friendly classic. The flavorful filling is so simple to make, with quick prep and just one pan for sautéing and simmering. Make it ahead for an easy lunch or dinner – so handy, especially for back-to-school season! Serve in slider buns for kid-friendly portions (or a snack) and pair with veggie sticks for an extra touch of nutritious crunch.